I don't need to test my programs. I have an error-correcting modem.
From Unreal Wiki, The Unreal Engine Documentation Site
The Mod Ideas page is a place for suggesting and debating mod ideas for any Unreal Engine based games. Although the primary focus is on UT2003 and UT2004 this will change over time as more Unreal Engine games get released. It may even lead to new mods being created. This page grew out of a scratch pad of the stressed ramblings of EntropicLqd, father, or menagerie-keeper as he would style it.
This page is part of the Unreal Wiki site. That means anyone can add text or edit the material that is here. It's a collaborative environment, and newcomers should read New Contributors Quick Start before making edits. To see what is new since your last visit, see Recent Changes or the (diff) and View other revisions links at the foot of this page.
The guidelines for using this page are still rough, so open to suggestion.
- It's Open!
- Firstly, when adding an idea to this page be aware that you are opening it up to comment from any casual passer by. Be prepared to be met with stony silence or many suggestions. As well as opening the idea up for comment you are also giving up some ownership of the mod – someone else may write it before you.
- When commenting on an idea, add your comments to the discussion section of the mod. Allow the original owner of the idea to refactor their mod description to include your suggestion should they like it – and be prepared for your suggestion to simply be ignored or rebuffed. It's not personal.
- Expressing Interest
- If you are interested in writing a mod, but haven't got time to do it right now, add your name to the Interested Scripters list. Before you start work on a mod idea listed on this page you are responsible for checking to see if anyone else has started the mod before you. The aim here is to contribute effort rather than duplicate effort. If someone else has started the mod feel free to offer help, but again, be prepared for your offer to be turned down (some of these mods are way to small to be built by more than one person). You really also want to read Mychaeel/Modding Etiquette before starting any project...
- Once you decide to go into "delivery mode" with an idea here make that fact plain within the Interested Scripters section. It would also be nice if you added a journal page to the Wiki on Category:Legacy Journal for the mod. The journal should read more like a tutorial rather than a diary and explain why you decided to do things the way you did, as well as how you did them. A journal is by no means a requirement, but it would be nice.
There's also a corresponding Map Ideas page for ideas for mappers making maps.
Please only post a project idea here if you actually plan to work on it.
 Wider Reading
Other pages on the nature of mods, how to make them, and how to make them good.
- Gameplay - what is gameplay? what makes good gameplay?
- Mychaeel/Mod Startups – essential rant
- Brandon Reinhart's Mod Authoring
- ... and generally, the rest of the Unreal Wiki, maybe starting with UnrealScript.
- and you can use the ScratchPad to work on code
 ONS Variants
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/AirCombat – Aerial dogfighting Onslaught style.
 CTF Variants
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/TurnCoat
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Balanced CTF
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/CarJack – Steal all the cars on the map, and park them at your base.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/CarryTheFlag – Carry the flag home rather than simply touch it.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Cold War – Collect, attack and defend parts for your nuke!
- Mapping for DrawBridges – Get control of a central room, lower your bridge at steal that flag!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/ExpertCTF – All weapons given, regen health and ammo and off-hand hook. See www.planetquake.com/expert for details.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/LonelyFlag – Two teams compete for a single flag.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/MultiCTF – Aka CTF+, CTF4, I'd like to get a combined mod going for this.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Reversed CTF – Only a little modification make things more hectic
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/TouchDown – Effectively Bombing Run with an attacking and defending team that swap over.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/UnrealBallPool – Collect the most balls at your flag base to win (Maybe Dom maps would work better?).
 DOM Variants
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/DestructionDOM – Control points need to be destroyed to be captured.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Dompendant – You, i mean you, are by yourself!!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/KOTH – King of the Hill mod (one DOM point).
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Power Domination – Dominate the power nodes of an Onslaught map.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/RandomDOM – 6+ Dom points but only a random 2 work
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Triple Domination – 50% more domination than Double Domination!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/UnrealSprint – Touch consecutive control points without dying to score points.
 New Game Types
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Anagram – A team word game with big weapons.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/CatchTheSmurf – Catch that Smurf!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/ColorfulWarriors– A Flying Airboats Mod w/ Giant GreenNalis, 25-30 Colorful Warriors skins, etc.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/DaiymoDefense – Everybody likes ninjas and samurai. Think VIP Assassination with katanas, bows, and blowguns.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/DownhillUT – Bobsleding and Snowboarding meets Back To The Future meets Super Mario Kart meets UT2k3
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Extreme Co-Op – Advanced UT2k3 Co-operative Mod
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/False Prophets – Defend your prophet or die trying
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/FishFood – Who can be the biggest fish in the pond then?
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Gladiator – Only the Gladiator can frag!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/IceClimbUT – a single player mod that you have to climb obstacles and stay away from ice spikes. Inspired from the TI-83+ game IceClimb.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/KarmaCrossfire – 2 players, 2 stationary guns, 2 goals, a Karma ball and lots of explosions
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/KillingSpree – a single player gametype focusing on killing sprees
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Hoard – Collect "Hoard Orbs" to score.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Magicans – A magic teamgame :)
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/MonkeyKnifeFight – Small dudes with knives!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Origiut – The original UT weapons and playing!!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Pool – Play pool (billiards) with a UT 2003 twist using karma.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Predator – Destroy your opponents as the predator.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/ProjectMassive – A massively multiplayer roleplaying game for 2004. Most probably will be ported to UE3 once it comes out.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Ringworld– A Ringworld-Inspired Mod for UT2003
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/RollercoasterRider – Build coasters and ride them.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/RoundUp – Take members of the other team prisoner, lock em all up. [UT]
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/RunningOfTheBulldogs – AI/Human controlled bulldogs try to run over players
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Soul Devourer – 1 Ultra Powerful Demon VS Everyone.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Spelling – Recognise the picture then spell the word.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/TheHunt – Can you survive the Hunt?
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Team King Of The Hill – King of the hill with teams.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/UnRealMyst – A mod to provide the groundwork for Myst style puzzle games
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Unreal Tower Defense – A simple port of the popular Tower Defense flash game
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Virus – Blow away virus in your own computer just like the original game.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/WaterFight – See who can get the most soakage.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/We'Ve Created A Monster – Not your average Mutant variant.
 Miscellaneous Ideas
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Deadman Launcher – You know you love to see your character tumble like a ragdoll down the stairs...its unfortunate you have to die though (thats why I propose the Deadman Launcher).
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Arms – Play UT with ported weapons from other games like doom, quake, etc.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Advanced Vehicle Damage – Destroy parts of vehicles such as wheels & weapons
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/BinkPlayer – Plays .bik files on the 'new scriptedtextures' that appear to render level action on them.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Bomberman – You know that old game?
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Buddy List – For UT
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/ChargingJumpBoots – Jump boots with variable height.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Civilians – people in the map who just get in the way
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/CorpseRedemption – Redeem a frag by killing your dead self.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Dark Match – Turn out the lights and run around with torches.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Decal Match – Adds more decals to the game
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Enhanced Spectator Camera – A Truly ESPN worthy Spectator camera mode.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Firestarter – A combo/pickup that causes the player to set alight anyone who looks in his eyes
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Flame Shield – A combo/pickup that protects the user from bullets and explosions that also damages nearby players
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Helmet – Play UT2003 through the eyes of your helmet. With vision filters.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/HyperspaceButton – Instant teleportation across the map (or maybe death).
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Hovercar – Remember those cars buzzing around the UT intro? Drive them!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Jedi – To hell with unreal lets have some starwars.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Jet Set Tournament 2003 – JSRF-style lock-strafing, with possible further conversions
- Mind Reader – A UT2003 version of.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Minefield – Run around with caution, you might step on something nasty.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/MovementTrainer – Practice moving, aiming, and generally grooving around.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Multi Team UT2003 – Models and interface support for 4 or maybe even 6 teams.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/MutatorShuffler – Randomly selects mutators for use in the next map.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/NowWithWings – Provides players with two modes of transport.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Possessed – Fighting is easy once you have a body.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Real Terrain – Deformable terrain as in Red Faction
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Riftwar – Three team species/class based minimod
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Smoke Bomb – Dissapear in a puff of smoke.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Spam Weapons – Yeah, I know, spamming is bad. But in this case you don't have other options.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Sticky Boots – Run up walls and across ceilings. These boots are amazing.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Talkative Bots – Hey, the bots are talking back.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Splintercell Mod – sneak around shadowy maps...
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Wipeout-Style Mod – futuristic racing mod idea
 Total Conversions
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Block Wars – Mayhem in the Judge Dredd universe.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Cyberwars – Cyborgs test their toys on each other ;)
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Descent Mod – Remember that game where you used to fly around and, er, shoot robots and find the reactor and escape? The 360° of freedom one?
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Freeloader – Ever heard of Excape Velocity? try combining that with UT2k3...
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Medieval-Fantasy – In the vein of Rune/Dark Vengeance
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Rocket Jockey – A Rocket Jockey inspired game, in which players must ride rockets around an arena and launch cables at each other.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/ShineMatch – Super Mario Sunshine converion?
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Ski-Ing – How about that?
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/StarCraft – SC Single player/multiplayer shooter.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Stellar Conflict – BF1942 meets space.....sorta
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/TheMachine – Single-player RPG mod on Mars.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/UTroids – I once saw Tetris for Uwindows... why not 3dAstroids?
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Xenocide – futuristic class-based warfare simulation with human, alien and robotic factions
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/UTPortal – For those of us who hate Steam, a Portal-like SP mod for UT
 Map Components
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/ChangeMusicVolume – A volume in which the music changes to whatever the mapper designates when you walk into it.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/GravityWell – Add an area of gravitational effect to your map
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Lightning – Lightning that attaches to a player (like the red beam that attaches to a teamate with the link gun) like how static electricity would do, and does damage!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/LocalGravity – Configure Gravity, and the orientation of players in your map.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/MeteorShower – Add a meteor shower to your map.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/PlayerMovementZone – A zone that lets you tweak the player's speed (Should probably be volume now)
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/ShockTower – A point defense or DM feature
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Trampoline – A jump pad you have to work at
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Unreal1Monsters – your favorite baddies are back, with shiney new meshes and karma deaths ^_^
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/VelocityTrigger – A diferent for of Targetkicker
- SustainedDamageTrigger – A trigger based upon total damage recieved rather than damage amount.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/NoRotatingItems – Disable rotating for some or all items in a map
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Sunshadow – Player shadows are adjusted based on which way the sunlight actor is pointing
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/CTFextras – a few extra things to add more gameplay strategy and teamplay to CTF
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Team Switch UT – a sort of team trigger that switches from team to team
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Instagib N Grapple – An instagib rifle with a grappling hook as the secondary fire.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Charging Shock Rifle – A weapon that does more damage the less you fire it.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Spiderman Gun – Spiderman, spiderman, does whatever a spider can...
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Ablative Gun – a gun thats only what your opponents make it!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Killstick – Sniping weapon from Megatokyo.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Bloodrifle – Powered-up sniper/shock rifle variant.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/SpiderHack – Use spider mines to hack enemy vehicles
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Manhack – Manhacks from HL2
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Accelerating Rockets – Rocket Launcher rounds accelerate until they run out of fuel.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Bloodbath – Infinate bloodbath (Optimized DecalStay)
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/BotReport – run a botmatch and report what happens
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Chameleon – Causes a players skin to be replaced with the walls texture.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/CratePickups – all pickups are in crates!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Creeper Runes – Think RealCTF's RealCreeper. or, Quake I's CreeperCTF
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/DevTools –0 Various Developer tools
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Dodgeball – Think Super Dodgeball for the NES.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/ForcedLowGrav – LowGrav mutator goes into effect for certain maps of your choosing otherwise regular gravity is in effect.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Heavy Items – You'll be weighed down by your items.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/InfiniteAmmoCombo – Adrenaline Combo that returns ammo when used / stops ammo drain
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/InstaVsSniper – Arena mutator where Red team gets the Enhanded Shock Rifle and Blue team gets the Sniper Rifle.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Iris – your "eyes" adjust to changing light levels.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Kinetic Rifle – modifies the Shield Gun primary fire to operate at range
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/MarioUT – Head bouncing ahoy!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Mercury Missile InstaGib – Descent II Mercury Missiles instead of energy beams.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Mini Bulldogs – Replace players with miniature Bulldogs
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/NukeRifles – Combat with very dangerous nuclear sniper rifles!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/OptOutDeathMessages – No DeathMessages cluttering up the Chat area.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/OptOutTauntPacks – A way to avoid downloading taunt packs without canceling server join.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Playthings – A weapons mod with a nonviolent theme. A set of creative, non-lethal weapons could be very interesting.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/RagDollPhysics – Changing parameters on ragdoll physics.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Random Gravity – Gravity changes at random intervals.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Really Random Spawn Points – An end to spawn camping.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/RegeneratingAmmo – A mutator that regenerates ammo for weapons held.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/SeasonsMultiMap – Map assets change depending on the system date on the server.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Semigib Onslaught – A half-hearted instagib mode for Onslaught.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/SkinRelay – Client-defined skins passed to all players
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Sorcery – forget machine guns, rocket launchers and shock rifles, bring on the fireballs!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Synthesizer – Uses normal ammo in combinations to create new attacks!
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/TacticalScreen – one player of each team has a multiscreen showing every transloc-cam
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/TeamWeaponArena – Specify allowed weapons and pickups on a team by team basis.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Sentry Weapons – deploy a Sentry Weapon that would be a tripod with the weapon you have selected on top
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Variant Weapon – A new weapon with the alt-fire configurable to the client to fire whatever he/she wants it to from a list.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/X-Ray - adrenaline combo to see through walls
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/UT2003 Jukebox - a concept I had to make something similar to a jukebox for 2003
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Upgrades - Inspired by excessive. Makes it so the weapons that your opponent drops are worth more then amo.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Yog-Sothoth – adds the Great Old One to the map, who seeks to devour all
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/U-Replay – Takes Recorded Demofiles and Renders them as High-poly, High-res Video files
 Ideas for Other Unreal Engine Based Games
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Devastation Conquerors – Multiplayer co-op across single mission maps.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Dropship – A flying vehicle capable of carrying four bulldogs inside itself
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Eclipse – Heavy bomber, three crew
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Gliding_scorp – The blades on the scorpian provide lift.
- Legacy:Mod Ideas/Fury AKA Nemesis – 4 metres long (~256UU in UT200X), it handles like a manta, but pressing [possibly B, like in the airpower mut)
it turns into a fighter, and handles as such.
 Related Topics
Kartoshka: Is it safe to delete those pages marked by the "delete mark" tag? There was a bit of a discussion before, and no real decision made. I'd like to tidy this up a bit, but I'm worried I'll end up marking for deletion some page that's still getting worked on...
EntropicLqd: If you check the page history I suspect the delete marks were added over a year ago, so I suggest you go ahead and delete them. Happy cleaning.
Kartoshka: What about making one page for actively developing/finished stuff and one for just ideas? How often do people add stuff to this page anyway? I haven't seen anything new quite some time. Maybe when UT2007 rolls out, that will change...
Tarquin: I agree that we have a LOT of "mod ideas" pages that just aren't going anywhere. (Just taking a look at this page now and... HOLY CRAP that's a lot of pages just gathering dust.) But when you're marking pages for deletion, are you moving the material somewhere else?
Kartoshka: Do you think we should keep the old material somewhere? Most of the ideas that didn't go anywhere are already implemented somewhere, too complicated, or just not well thought out. IMO, we should dump that stuff. Right now, I'm keeping the pages that resemble a design document, or that have been worked on "recently" (in the past year or so).
Switch`: I'd archive the old ones somewhere, ie: in Legacy:Mod Ideas/Archived. Ideas don't have to be design docs, they can be random thoughts. Those random ideas can inspire people to create something fun and well though-out. IMO the more we have of them the better.
Tarquin: I agree. Make a judgement call (Kartoshka since you're workign on it, or whoever feels like helping :) and move the ones that are feasible and interesting to Legacy:Mod Ideas/Archived, all on a single page. Delete the ones that are too close to existing mods, totally crazy, or really lacking in their descriptions.
Kartoshka: For now I'll just tag the crazy ones for deletion, and leave the rest here. Then when Unreal Engine 3 games roll out, we can archive all the ideas that are here now and worth keeping. Sound good?