My program doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.
The Unreal Engine uses many different file formats. On this page we present an overview of them all.
There is only one Package File Format for all the extensions listed, so in fact any package can hold any type of resource, irrespective of where it is kept and its extension. But the usual contents are:
- U file – UnrealScript classes compiled with ucc
- UNR file / UT2 file - Map Files
- UTX file – textures and materials
- UMX file – music
- UAX file – sound
- UKX file – animations
- UZ file / UZ2 file – Unreal zip (can be compressed and decompressed with ucc)
Each type of package should be put in specific subfolder: see Engine Directory Structure. Despite being in different folders and having different extensions, the engine considers only the package name. This means that two packages such as:
will be considered by the engine as the same package, which will cause considerable problems. The usual way to be sure you don't use the same name twice is to append the type of resource to the name, eg MyProjectSounds.uax, MyProjectTextures.utx.
- UMOD/UT2MOD – Unreal Module or UT2003 Module files are installer packages for the Unreal engine.
- INI file – see Config Vars And .Ini Files
- INT file – see also localization
- UC file – UnrealScript source code
- UPL file – see UPL File
- UPKG file – Package flags
Other importable formats:
- WAV file – wave files are imported and saved as .uax
- 3D file – LOD Mesh and Animation data used by early builds of UnrealEngine 1.0, see 3ds2unr
- PSK file – Skeletal Mesh file, see Skeletal_Mesh
- PSA file – Skeletal Animation file
Other file formats recognized by the engine: