The three virtues of a programmer: Laziness, Impatience, and Hubris. – Larry Wall
- "Replication" redirects here. For a description of the replication block in UnrealScript source code see replication block.
|Please help improve this article or section by expanding it.|
In Unreal Engine games replication is the concept of passing data between the server and clients in network games. Closely related is simulation, which is the concept of "guessing" server behavior on network clients using only the information already available to the client.
Despite consisting of a relatively small set of rules, applying replication concepts usually scares programmers new to UnrealScript and makes even UnrealScript veterans scratch their head once in a while. This collection of reference articles and tutorials attempts to make your journey into the land of replication as easy as possible.
- Introduction to replication
- Unreal Networking Architecture by Tim Sweeney (last updated 1999-07-21, i.e. before the release of UT)
- Unreal Networking Architecture - updated for Unreal Engine 3
- Replication De-obfuscation by Mongo - another view on Unreal Engine 1 replication concepts
- Everything you ever wanted to know about replication (but were afraid to ask) by Wormbo - an overview based on UT2004 observations