There is no spoon
Legacy:DamageType/Creating Damage Types
Making your Own DamageType (in UT2004)
This tutorial was made to show you how to make a basic Damage Type in Unreal Tournament 2004.
Why would you do it?
Lets just say you wanted a kill zone in your map but none of the damage types gave quite the right effect or death message, this allows you to set it up the way you want.
- Basic knowledge of the Editor
- Understand editing properties
- Be able to read the Wiki
You have made a map of a deep sea base and want some water that kills you of over pressureization, but their is no damage class that does this.
- Go to the Actor Class Browser and open GamePlay.u
- Make sure "Placeable classes Only" is not ticked, so you can see the DamageType class.
- Expand the DamageType class so you can see all the different Subclasses
- Right click on the DamageType that is closest to your desired DamageType and Create A Subclass, so in our Scenario we would Create A Subclass under Depressurized. If their is no Subclass that is close to what you want then Create A Subclass under DamageType.
- Set the Package to MyLevel and the Name to whatever you want, in this we will just call it Pressurized.
- A window should come up with the very basic code of your new DamageType change placeable; to abstract;.
- Close the window and find your new DamageType right click on it and select Default Properties
- In the Properties window expand DamageType and set it to the way you would like it, so we want bCauseConvulsions to be True, The DeathString to be: %k put to much pressure on %o., and FemaleSuicide and MaleSuicide to be: %o cracked under the pressure.
- Close the window and go to your Volume's properties -> PhysicsVolume -> DamageType and in the drop down list yor new DamageType should be their select it, rebuild all and save.
That's it you're done, Congratulations. –Mulch_D
Mulch_D: So what do you guys (and girls) all think, I'm pretty proud of my self, seeing as this was my first real page :).
Tarquin: Nice! :D