My program doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.
The small joystick icon on an UnrealEd Viewport title bar toggles that viewport's realtime preview. In this mode the viewport is live-updated, which will slow down the editor, but allows you to view the level better:
- animated textures, torchflames other actors will be animated
- ambient sounds will play
- invisible polys will not be visible: those of invisible collision hull brushes and zone portal sheets.
- the Emitter class kicks into action and starts, well, emitting.
- xEmitters should work too but sometimes need prodding it seems (try changing a property)
- In UnrealEd 2, the SkyBox is activated. In Unreal 3, it's activated by an option in the Viewport Caption Context Menu.
If you have a fast enough machine, most of the time you will use this in the 3D window.
Note On some machines and if you are using Direct3d as a display this mode can cause conflict with other direct3D apps. The nasty side effect being that you won't be able to playtest the level using the playtest 'joystick' button located in the Toolbar.
- See UnrealEd Viewport for information on the other items in the viewport title bar.
- See Viewport Caption Context Menu for information on the viewport title bar's right-click menu (eg viewing paths and the radii view for actors)
MythOpus: I believe xEmitter need prodding with is because they are usually set to not repeat. (I do believe you can make them repeat) Therefore, UED won't replay the xEmitter.