Choosing textures can be a hard thing to do, with different themes, different textures need to be used... But for now all I can offer are some hints:
- Use the subclasses in the texture browser, don't put wall textures on the floor etc.
- Sometimes ceiling textures really suck, if the case, use a base, or a wall texture that fits right. This is ussually the only exception to the above rule in my opinion.
- Try to stay away from heavy textures, they are hard to light well, and don't look good with colors.
- Pick textures for the appropriate theme, don't go and put NaliCastle textures in an industrial themed maps...
- Use Light textures for lights, not some goofy green.
Patching alignment problems
Aligning the same wall texture around a room can lead to inevitable misalignments, eg around alcoves. Cover a difficult join with a pillar or a piece of embedded trim – something to cause a complete break in the pattern.