Cogito, ergo sum
This page has links to tutorials aimed at specifically at beginners, and other topics that beginners should cover.
Like the rest of the site, it's under constant development. If you are a beginner and do not find these pages suffiencently helpful, then you are invited to do one of the following:
- Add a comment to this page
- Add a comment to the article
- Insert questions into the text of an article
- Improve the article yourself
If you add a page from here please also add a link for it under the section head, eg "Basic Lighting" should get a link somewhere on the Lighting section page. Tutorials should also get a link on the Mapping Lessons page.
First Steps with UnrealEd
This is work in progress, intended to be a sequence of tutorials starting from absolute scratch.
Getting Around UnrealEd
Links to topics about the interface:
- Toolbox covers all the buttons down the left-hand side of the screen
- Toolbar covers the toolbar that runs beneath the menu
- Right-click menu covers all the actions available in the context menus
- UnrealEd interface has links to the above, and also to reference on all the windows and option dialogs you'll encounter
- Creating a mover
- Making Windows
- Zone Portals and making zones
- Basic Bot Pathing: Botpathing is the procedure of adding special marker points to a map. UnrealEd interlinks these to create a network that the bots understand to get around the level.
- Building a SkyBox
- Making Coronas
Don't Believe the Hype
- Common UnrealEd myths exploded
Post questions here, no matter how simple or basic.
- What does <insert abbreviation/acronym/term here> stand for?
- See the Terminology page.
So far I've understood much of the stuff on the site. Some suggestions are:
- Put a screen shot of the Snap to Grid check box. I still can't find it! I have "Show Full Log Window", "Toggle Vertex Snap", "Toggle Drag Grid", "Drag Grid Size", "Toggle Rotation Grid" and "Maximize Viewport". No Snap To Grid checkbox listed. A picture of it would help.
- Tarquin: thanks for your comments. I'll take a screenie of the snap to grid button next time I'm using UEd. :-)
Nice site, lots of very usefull info for a starting mapper like me.
Could somebody give me any advice on texturing a terrain? for some reason i don't get the alpha right..
ZxAnPhOrIaN: The alpha is a pure white image. Also put questions on the Help Desk page. ;)