Always snap to grid
Artificial Intelligence, or AI, refers to any automated mechanism which serves the purpose of acting autonomously or as if controlled by naturally intelligent design. In games, they normally refer to automated players (Bots), either opponents or teammates. They can also refer to simple Scripts, Monsters or other Non-Player Characters (NPCs). In the Unreal engine, AI can refer to either the designing the behavior of stock AI agents, like bots, or it can refer to custom AI agents such as NPCs.
These are some general concepts common to all forms of artificial intelligence.
- The AI construct will react to stimuli
- The construct will have a purpose of goal to which is was designed to achieve
UnrealScriptedSequences and Trigger Systems are some means of automating a series of actions. This is the most basic form of AI although they can also be used to modify the behavior of more sophisticated AI, like bots, in cases where custom behavior is required for a particular map. For example, see DefensePoint and Creating A Defense Point In UT200x.
This is the current hierarchy for script support on the wiki.
- Trigger Systems
- Creating and using ScriptedActions
- A complete list of ScriptedActions.
Bots are automated player characters; agents that act as if controlled by a human player. Bots are stock AI characters that will follow designed behavior called Bot Support. Bot support is encorporated into each map's design by the level designer, as each map is different and requires custom behavior for Bots to perform as well as human players.
This is the current hierarchy for bot support on the wiki.
- Bot Support – A hub for bot support
- Bot Pathing – Concepts and elements of a bot path network
- Strategic Bots – Advanced bot support
- Bot Mind – Understanding the bots' motivations
- Testing Botplay – Techniques to ensure reliable bot support
Non-Player Characters are any artificially intelligent agent that are not players.
Monsters are NPCs that act only as an enemy to all players.
This is the current hierarchy for monster support on the wiki.
- Monster Support – A hub for Unreal monster support
- ScriptedPawn – Coding the behavior of UT monsters and NPCs via this parent class
- Basic ScriptedPawn Tutorial – A tutorial implementing UT ScriptedPawn Monster AI.
- Pawn (UT)/AI Functions
- A UT2004 Monster Tutorial – A tutorial using UT2004 Monsters
- An AI Concept – An exploration of a custom Monster AI construct
- AI Scripting (Unreal 2 only)
NPCs can do more than just attack players. Custom NPCs can be made to affect the game in a number of different ways.
This is the current hierarchy for custom NPC support on the wiki.
- NPC Support – A hub for creating custom Non-Player Characters in Unreal.
- Basic AI Scripting Tutorial – A tutorial detailing the (re)construction of the NaliCow NPC in UT2004.
Technical Research and Development Links
- Ai-Reseach - A website devoted to the discussion and exploration of Artificial Intelligence.
- AI Topics - A dynamic library of introductory information about Artificial Intelligence.
- Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research - An international electronic and print journal covering all areas of Artificial Intelligence.
- International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence - The main international gathering of researchers in AI.
- JPL Artificial Intelligence Group - The Artificial Intelligence Group performs basic research in the areas of Artificial Intelligence Planning and Scheduling, with applications to science analysis, spacecraft commanding, deep space network operations, and space transportation systems.
Game Specific Links
- The Game AI Page - Dedicated to the topic of Artificial Intelligence in games.
- Pogamut - a free middleware for creating UT bots AI in Java (for UDK, UT2004 and UE2)
- jabberwacky - Just for fun, have a conversation with an AI agent.
- Introduction to Game AI
- Genetic Programming
- Using Binary Trees and Linked Lists To Represent Group Hierarchy
- Unreal Engine and Game Code Overview
- Bot and xBot
- Topics on Mapping
SuperApe: Created. This is meant to be the super topic page for all AI (bots, monsters, custom NPCs, etc.) Working...